Are Digital Dental X-Rays Safe for My Child?
January 27, 2023
Dental x-rays are an integral component of preventive and diagnostic dental care, visual examination only covers 60% of the tooth surfaces, the other 40% is contacting each other and evaluated by x-rays. Today’s modern digital dental x-rays are safer, more comfortable, and more precise than ever before, enhancing patient care. Visit Pediatric Dentistry of San Marcos to experience pediatric dental care at its best!
Why Are Dental X-Rays Necessary?
Digital dental x-rays help us detect tooth decay between teeth that we cannot see during routine examinations. The intricate images give us a clear picture of what is happening beneath your child’s teeth and gums, allowing for early prevention and treatment when needed. The vast majority of cavities are in between the teeth on children, which is why x-rays are considered a standard of care and mandatory at the proper intervals.
Dental x-rays are recommended for children with minimal spaces between their back teeth. They are also helpful in monitoring growth and development and evaluating the oral health of children with extra or missing teeth.
With digital x-rays, we can detect cavities in between the teeth, plan orthodontic treatment, evaluate for abnormal growths, and evaluate the healing of a tooth after injury. We can also determine whether your child’s mouth has sufficient space to accommodate the incoming adult teeth. Digital x-rays provide a wealth of information not visible to the naked eye.
Are Digital Dental X-Rays Safe?
Yes! Newer Digital x-rays with our handheld system provide us images at the lowest possible exposure to your child. For instance, a regular set of x-rays at our office is equal to less than half of the background exposure you would have on an average day. At Pediatric Dentistry of San Marcos, we are committed to ensuring our young patients are safe in our care. We are proud to utilize the ALARA (As Low as Reasonably Achievable) principle to minimize radiation exposure.
Our doctors have carefully evaluated and selected the newest digital dental x-ray technology, delivering quicker, safer, and more comfortable care. Our system produces 80 to 90 percent less radiation than traditional film x-rays and reduces x-ray scatter by 50 percent, making it safe enough for a dental assistant to capture images standing next to your child. This is a night and day difference from the x-rays that are taken in a medical office.
What Are the Advantages of Digital Dental X-rays
Digital dental x-rays offer numerous advantages compared to traditional x-rays. One of the main advantages is the speed at which images are captured. With digital x-rays, the images are available on a computer screen within seconds of being taken, allowing us to immediately review and diagnose any problems. The result? Less wait time and shorter dentist visits.
Digital dental x-rays produce images with incredible detail and clarity, making it easier to diagnose and create effective treatment plans. The images can be enlarged and show the finest details, allowing us to diagnose and treat conditions in their earliest stages. That helps prevent the need for costly and involved treatments down the road.
The most important advantage of a digital x-ray system is the ability to minimize x-ray exposure to your child. Again, our modern, up to date system was carefully selected to have the least x-ray exposure possible, and a regular set of x-rays is less than half of what you are exposed to on an average day.
Quality Pediatric Dental Care Near Me in San Marcos, CA
Visit Pediatric Dentistry of San Marcos to learn more about our digital dental x-ray technology and the safe, comfortable care we provide. We look forward to caring for your child’s smile. Call 760-978-8285 to schedule your child’s appointment, or complete our online appointment request form today!